Friday, March 14, 2008

Waitress -- B

When watching a film that is directed by the same person who wrote it, I sometimes wonder if and how the film would have benefitted from bringing in someone else to do the directing (The Final Cut comes to mind).

Such was the case with Waitress. It's a good movie, perhaps even very good. But not great.

The longer the movie went on, the less believable I found Keri Russell's character. I believed that she would simply stand up for herself (compare her boldness with her doctor and Old Joe with her timidity with her husband).

My good friend Taran has a thoughtful review of the high and low points of the film (warning, he totally gives away the ending in the fifth paragraph, so you might want to skip over it). I agree with the points he raises, but I think I would still recommend the movie.

No comments: