Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hot Fuzz -- C- Shaun of the Dead -- C+

Who would have thought that Shaun of the Dead is better than Hot Fuzz? The former relies heavily on "inside" jokes that are unfamiliar to US audiences, which isn't necessarily a criticism, but certainly is an observation. It definitely has its funny moments, but it drags on a bit long.

Hot Fuzz, on the other hand, has few funny moments, and also drags on too long. Other complaints: the quick-cut editing was a cheap effort to ape Madonna's husband's style, and it's a bit bloody.

Or maybe I just don't appreciate British cinema.

1 comment:

bobby said...

Both movies are just about perfect, as comedies. I have to disagree that they drag. And I have to disagree that they ape Guy Richie's style. These movies do it better -- though Hot Fuzz gets a little carried away with them in the first hour. I really like these movies and I really like Simon Pegg in them.