Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Curious Incident of the Dog Biscuit That Nearly Resulted in PoMonkey Blowing Up Our New Condo

One day in early August, PoMonkey was at home getting ready to go to work. I had left early to go to a meeting at the convention center. I don't think I mentioned that our new place in the city is a bit smaller than the last place we lived, so we've had to test out various placement of things. Case in point: the ironing board.

So PoMonkey is getting ready for work, ironing a shirt and doing a few chores around the house like drying clothes. As she was ironing her shirt, she smelled something unusual, as if perhaps something were burning. PoMonkey checked the dryer and found several pieces of dog biscuit rattling around with the clothes and stuck in the lint trap.

My family reunion this year was at my maternal grandparents' house, which is located on several acres in Virginia. My uncle lives there on the "farm" where there is a chicken coop, old pig pens, a couple of barns, and several dog kennels. At some point during the day, I walked down to the kennels to visit a hunting dog that my uncle had found, and I took a couple of dog biscuits with me to offer to Brenda (as my aunt who lives across the street has named her). It turned out that Brenda wasn't that interested in dog biscuits. When I offered her one, she simply sniffed it and walked away with out even touching it.

I guess I must have left the other dog biscuit in my pocket, and it ended up going all of the way through the wash and most of the way through the dry cycle. PoMonkey finished her ironing and left for work. As she was walking down the hall to the elevator, she thought, that unusual smell didn't really go away when the dryer stopped, and it didn't really smell like one would imagine a burning dog biscuit would smell; it was something more familiar.

That day she had set the ironing board up in the kitchen, right in front of the stove. When she returned to double check on the smell, she noticed that one of the burner controls was on, apparently having been bumped by the ironing board or some part of the ironing process. None of the burners were lit, so the condo was simply filling with natural gas.

Thank God she had second thoughts about that smell so that this story remains, The Curious Incident of the Dog Biscuit That Nearly Resulted in PoMonkey Blowing Up Our Condo.

Post Script – We now put the ironing board up on the other side of the condo, by the exercise bike and far away the stove.

3 comments:

M Griffin said...

I am glad that PoMonkey didn't blow up the house as that would have been just awful. I am now slightly curious what dog biscuits are made of that they can make it through and entire wash cycle.

bobby said...

I imagine a dog biscuit that durable comes out of the dog exactly as it went in.

Glad you and the missus are still alive.

Mister Ginger said...

While the dog biscuit came out more intact than I expected, it wasn't perfectly intact. All that was left of the dog biscuit was a ball of biscuit "material," if that's the right word.